Sunday, August 1, 2010

New Things

Today we bought a new full-size futon for our office/guest room--we moved the queen sized bed upstairs--moved the king sized out--will have it taken away next Saturday when we get our new delivery.  We are also getting new windows for most of the house; and a new exercise machine.  Whew.  A lot of new things to get used to.  New things are great, but also, because they're new, take a bit of getting used to.  A period of adjustment is called for.  Our bedroom looks huge without the big king bed taking up all of the space.  That's cool.  We've been used to sleeping with a TON of space around us, though, so I can't help but wonder what it will be like tonight and every night after--what we lose in space, we gain in closeness, though. At least, that's the plan.  Even the exercise machine will take some getting used to--it's an elliptical walker--supposed to burn more calories than a treadmill.  I noticed this afternoon, after I got out of the shower, that I've put on quite a bit of fat on my lower back.  Not good.  At my age--53--I need to work a bit harder to keep my weight steady.  I know that in Turkey we ate a lot of high calorie food--and since I've been home, I haven't exercised much.  When I was in college, mom and I used to go into my bedroom to talk, etc., and we would inevitably get into the "I'm fatter than you are" game: looking in the mirror, we would pinch our fat places and make faces--and then we would laugh.  She was probably in her mid - late fifties when we would have these conversations--so I'm beginning to understand how she felt as she aged.  It is very frustrating to know that, while I could eat less, or at least cut out desserts altogether, and exercise more, I think I do okay.  And then the pounds creep up.  This is the kind of change I do not like.  The new thing I want now is a new body.  A younger version of me--maybe just 5 or 6 years younger, but with that metabolism.  Fooey! To even have to think about this is frustrating.  I bought a new bed today.  Why can't I just buy a new me?

No comments: