Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wonder of wonders

Just thinking today about the small things that make life interesting and worthwhile.  A heron fishes our pond and graces us all with his presence daily.  We missed him for awhile, but he's back.  And he is HUGE.  I wish I could walk up and stand next to him to see just how large he really is.  I am 5'6" and he very well may be at least 4' tall at full height.  I would love to know his wing span.  When he flies overhead he looks like a pterodactyl.  I wonder if herons are their modern counterparts.  Anyway, the sight of such a creature flying above our pond and into the trees is a gift! A treasure. . . .Let's see--does he really look like a pterodactyl?
Maybe a bit, but I think what the ptero has in fierceness, the heron makes up for in sheer beauty and grace.  If I could see an ptero in flight, I might change my mind, but we'll never know.  Maybe in heaven, I'll have the ability to see into our past far enough to find out! Something else to look forward to.

No comments: