Saturday, June 19, 2010

today's subject: travel jitters

I love to travel. I love to see the sights, meet new and interesting people, sample other cultures, etc. What I don't like is the waiting, waiting, waiting the few days before flying. I get what I like to call "travel jitters"--my heart beats a little faster, which makes a little bit dizzy; I have a bit of an upset stomach; I can't sleep; I feel irritable. I wonder if other people experience this phenomenon as well? I almost wish there were such a thing as suspended animation for trips like this one to Turkey. Then I could just go to sleep and wake up in my hotel room in Turkey, no problem. Oh, here I am. I'm in Istanbul. Cool. Let's go see some mosques! But no, I must deal with this unpleasant malady and live like the rest of humanity--on the edge of my seat, breathless with anticipation, sleep-deprived, anxious, but--also hyper with happiness at the prospects of what await us in Istanbul and the rest of our vacation. I'm already packed and we aren't even leaving for four more days. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! The only thing left to do is get on the plane. Oh, but first, I have to make sure all of my little "toiletries" are ready to go in my little travel pouch: make-up, facial cleanser, meds, ear plugs, etc. . . .Oh, the joys of travelling. Sunglasses, sun screen--it's going to be hot in Turkey. ; )

No comments: