Thursday, October 30, 2008

Four Days and Counting

November 4th--I can hardly believe it is almost here. I will be so relieved. It's been way, way too long since the last time. Oh, I'm not talking about the Presidential election--no, nothing as grand as that. I'm talking about my mammogram. You know, that annual, supposedly, time when you go into the little room with the machine that squeezes your breasts flat while the nice nurse takes a picture? Don't get me wrong. I am THANKFUL that I have the wherewithal to go to a mammogram. I am grateful that I have a job and health insurance, and that such a service is available to me, even encouraged. But let's face it, the mammogram is right up there with a trip to the dentist. Not something I look forward to. In fact, I would rather go to the dentist. I have a friend who is going through radiation for breast cancer right now--the mammogram she had could very well have saved her life. And so I want to honor her and all of the other women out there who have faced this disease. And like my friend said, this disease, if caught early, is one of the most curable of cancers. Who am I to neglect my health because it is uncomfortable. I'll report back when I've actually made the appointment to get that other mandatory procedure when we turn 50. Oh, yes, that one.

No comments: