Wednesday, April 6, 2011

World View

The class is writing blogs this week about their world views: what they are, but more importantly, how they were shaped (or are being shaped).  I must say that the most important influence in shaping my world view has been my family relationships.  School, of course, has been a big part of my life.  I started school at age five and I guess you could say I've never left it.  I love learning.  But I came to that love of learning because of my parents.  My mother wanted me to be happy and have a satisfying career--she didn't get the opportunity to finish school.  I think that she knew a long time before I did that I would be a teacher.  My dad quoted poetry to us from the time I can remember, instilling in me a love of literature. We always had plenty of books in our home, as well as music.  My dad and two of my brothers played the guitar; my mom and I sang and played the piano.  That makes it sound like we had a family band--we didn't, but I think we probably could have.  At any rate, a basic curiosity about the world was instilled in me at a very early age.  I hope I always keep that curiosity and anticipation about what might be around the bend in the road.  I never want to get old!

No comments: