Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May

Midway through the quarter and I'm aching for summer, for space and time and flip-flops and gardening and playing my guitar and visiting family and friends and eating dinner on the deck watching the ducks in our pond and the heron fishing. . . .SUMMER--will you ever get here? When I look back to my childhood, it seems like summer lasted forever. Now it seems to just fly by, once it gets here.  Why is that? It is a question I will never find the answer to, and yet I ask it every year. Sigh. I'm such a sentimentalist and a dreamer. Double sigh. Sometimes I just don't want to think--about politics and the economy and work and gas prices and elections and.....the list goes on. Sometimes it's all just too much....You know? I should think of summer as a state of mind--so throughout the long winter, I can have little summers, tiny slices of time in which I stretch my limbs in an imaginary sun and just REST. ; )

1 comment:

Leader Story said...

After reading your portion on "May", it got me to reflecting about my summers as a kid and I think that the answer to your question "why does it seem shorter in the summer as a person gets older??".......... The problem is that summers as a kid were worry-free. All that needed to happen was you pass your classes and graduate to the next grade level and summer was all yours until school started back up. Little responsibility because, for the most part, they were taken care of by mom and dad. Now however, as an adult, the though of summer is always short-lived being replaced by work, bills, children, governmental policy, disasters, and all the other things I didn't have to worry about, and could care less about as a kid.